Dialect: A Game about Language and How it Dies (book & cards)
Dialect is a game about an isolated community, their language, and what it means for that language to be lost.
Dialect is a GM-less game for 3-5 players where you’ll tell the story of the Isolation by building their language. New words will come from the fundamental aspects of the community: who they are, what they believe in, and how they respond to a changing world.Players take away both the story they’ve told and the dialect they’ve built together. Includes hardcover book, deck of language generating cards used to play the game, and a free digital copy delivered immediately.
"Dialect is fascinating and fun and innovative" -- Jason Morningstar (Fiasco, Night Witches)
"A language-building story-telling thing of beauty" -- Jay Treat (Legacy of the Slayer, Strange Gravity)
"This is a game about how culture, language and thought interact... and that is amazing!" -- Alex Roberts (Backstory Podcast)
- 150 page hardcover and language generating deck, both gorgeously printed with professional layout and beautiful art.
- Playsets contributed by eleven world-class game designers, linguists, language creators, and generally-formidable humans
- Contributed chapter on language invention by David Peterson (author of The Art of Language Invention and language creator for HBO's Game of Thrones)
- A chapter on sustaining the world's language by Steven Bird, linguist, community organizer and champion for language vitality.
- Free printable play references available.