For 3-4 players, ages 12+, playing time is around 60 minutes.
Prussian Rails builds upon the system established in Wabash Cannonball and takes the gameplay to Germany, 1840-1870, introducing an innovative player order mechanism to the system. In addition, each railroad has a special characteristic, based upon its history:
- Preußische Ostbahn - May build up to 4 track; 20 black track; Königsberg start.
- Niederschlesische - No City Penalty; 17 brown track; Breslau start.
- Sächsische - May build up to 2 track; 11 orange track; Leipzig start.
- Bayerische - Track cost -1 per hex; 16 blue track; München start.
- Main-Weser - Double one City Income; 14 yellow track; Kassel start.
- Badische - One free rural track/build; 15 red track; Mannheim start.
- Köln-Mindener - $5 maximum expediture/build; 12 purple track; Essen start.
- Berlin-Hamburger - Must connect both to receive Dividends; 13 green track; Wittenberge start.