The Veil: Cascade + complimentary PDF
In this world, technology continued to grow in leaps and bounds. Neurochips were just the beginning, allowing for every human to bridge the gap between the digital world and physical one. This new hybrid reality gave birth to a wave of technological advancement.
But that’s all in the past now.
In Cascade, this shift is systematic. Governments and law enforcement possess tech to decant anyone’s digitized mind into the Neurochips of Slacks—empty bodies devoid of consciousness.
Eventually, and entirely too late, it was discovered that this process had one major flaw: the people decanted from out-of-date Neurochips were all missing some of their memories. You are one of these people.
There are new mechanics, playbooks, additional custom moves, and Plugins that work in tandem and in addition to the playbooks found in The Veil. You’ll also find 7 unique settings, resources to help create your own world, and an in-depth deconstruction of the cyberpunk genre.
Cascade is a supplement for The Veil. You will need a copy of The Veil in order to make full use of Cascade. Cascade includes:
- A futuristic setting with 7 quick adventure-starters baked into it, one of which is directly inspired by the iconic cyberpunk novel: Altered Carbon.
- More character archetypes and their playbooks.
- "Plugins" for archetypes that modify characters in new and interesting ways and allow for more character growth and expansion.
- Construct fiction with a strong baseline while increasing your knowledge of cyberpunk more than ever before! A genre deconstruction of both cyberpunk and post-cyberpunk, written by Clare Wall, a PhD candidate writing on contemporary Posthumanism.
- An all new reward/improvement system focused on emergent play.
- A new mechanic to unravel emergent mysteries the players themselves come up with for their characters.
- Even more stunning art by fan favorite artist Alessandro Rossi.
- An expanded chapter on building your own setting, with multiple methods to choose from to best suit the play style of you and your group.
- Short-term play mechanics and set-up for one-to-two-session play.
- And more!
- Cascade adds a ton of additional content that brings a lot of value to the original game while also working well as a standalone resource for anyone interested in making their own cyberpunk setting.
There are static elements ingrained in Cascade to help solidify any setting you generate in the fiction. This allows for an ideal place to springboard a new game from, or move an existing campaign to. For those who don't want to generate a new setting, we've got you covered: a futuristic city inspired, in part by Taipei, called Prudence, is prepared and ready for you to delve into, along with a diabolical murder mystery inspired by Altered Carbon.
In Cascade you play the protagonists of your own story, where Neurochips are used to download and upload the human consciousness into people without a mind occupying them. These "empty" bodies are called Slacks. You play relics of a time gone by, fully digitized minds preserved in Neurochips and recently decanted into a new, unfamiliar body. You are a mind imprinted on an out-of-date Neurochip and missing the memories that comprised who you are or perhaps, who you used to be.
As you play to find out what happened to you and what happens next in your story, you also play to find out how the world has changed and how being in a body different from the one you were born with affects who you are.
Cascade can be an expansion for characters that were played in The Veil as well. This is the opportunity to bring back a character you previously played in The Veil with a new twist. Explore them in greater detail, find out how they have changed along with the world they once knew in The Veil.